Sunday, May 9

Pulling the final curtain on research... and the beginning of an intention

What my work research means in the wider aspect of this project

Within the time given it has been appropriate for me to research the breadth of net curtains and lace. The reason for this being to feel that I have fully grasped what is possible for me to create a successful outcome.

With what I have researched the use of net curtains are visual forms of a persons human right to enjoy the privacy of their homes. From that you build upon the idea of the decorative aspect of these curtains in particular the decadence in the print.

With all things visual an aesthetic value is assigned and I feel confident that my project should lead through a path where I avoid the kitsch and x –rated to avoid the trapping of what has been used by many an artist before.

The concept of taste does arise and interest me especially in such a subjective field of house decoration. What fascinates me is how certain people will purposely buy the most extravagant net curtains to show status and good taste within a community though the thought of someone showing such a display goes against the primary aim of the functional use of net curtains (to prevent people from seeing valuables held inside the house).

What is fashionable is faddish…

No comments: